5 Useful iPhone Apps For Lawyers
According to the American Bar Association’s 2017 Legal Technology Survey Report, 96% of lawyers surveyed indicated that they used smartphones for law-related purposes while away from their office. And of those lawyers, 75% used iPhone devices over Androids.
Because so many lawyers prefer iPhones in 2017, I figured a blog post highlighting some of my favorite iPhone apps for lawyers was in order. So, without further ado, here are a few affordable, or free, iOS apps that you might find to be useful in your practice:
- Speak and Translate: This is an app that automatically translates what you say into the spoken word one of of 54 different languages. It also supports text-to-text translations between 117 languages. This app would be particularly useful for immigration and criminal defense lawyers who often encounter clients who speak a variety of languages. Although the app is free, the free version includes ads and only allows a limited number of translations per month. You’ll have to subscribe to the app on monthly basis to get an ad-free experience and an unlimited number of translations.
- Time & Date Calculator: Lawyers spend a lot of time calculating dates, whether it’s a due date for a motion, or calculating how long ago an incident occurred. That’s why time and date calculation apps come in so handy. One such app is Time & Date Calculator, a free app that is ad-supported. To avoid ads, you can upgrade for $2.99. This app provides a lot of flexibility and built-in tools to help you calculate dates across time zones and even down to the second.
- Scanner Pro: This is my personal scanning app of choice and costs only $3.99. Not only does it allow you to scan a document and upload it as a PDF, it also it formats the uploaded document with OCR (text recognition) and permits smart naming. You can watch a video of it in action here, where you’ll see Brett Burney’s review of this app.
- Overcast: Ever since the Serial podcast took the world by storm, lawyers’ interest in podcasts has skyrocketed. If you like to listen to podcasts, then an intuitive, easy-to-use podcast app is a must, and Overcast fits the bill. It’s a free app that is ad-supported, but if you’d prefer to an ad-free experience, you’ll need to pay $9.99/year.
- Legal Practice Management App: These days more and more lawyers are taking advantage of the many benefits of web-based law practice management software, including the ability to use a mobile app to access law firm documents on the go, enter billable time, securely communicate with clients, receive credit card payments, and much more. So if you use cloud-based law practice management software, make sure to download and take advantage of the accompanying app. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did!