Legal marketing: it’s not something most lawyers like to think about, but it’s nevertheless an important part of a successful law practice. After all, without clients, you wouldn’t have much of a law practice.
Before the internet, legal marketing was a bit simpler, although oftentimes more costly. Yellow page, park bench, and billboard ads – along with radio and tv spots – were par for the course for some law firms. If you wanted to reach a lot of people, those were your primary channels and none were cheap.
These days, lawyers have a lot more options, many of which can be far more cost-effective than the old school methods. The problem is that the increased choices complicate matters and can make legal marketing more confusing than ever.
Fortunately, there are lots of great legal marketing resources available to help you figure out the best, most effective ways to market your law firm. The trick is knowing where to look. And the best news? This blog post is the perfect place to start!
Legal marketing books
For a thorough guide on legal marketing, books are an obvious place to start. There are lots of legal marketing books out there, but not all cover 21st century marketing techniques. That’s why it’s important to read books that were published within the last few years; they’ll be sure to provide you with up-to-date information on marketing your firm, both online and off.
Here are 2 books to consider:
- The Lawyer’s Guide to Marketing on the Internet, Fourth Edition – This ABA-published book, written by Greg Siskind and Deborah McMurray, was updated in 2017 and covers all aspects of online marketing for lawyers, including websites, e-mail, social media, and more.
- Renegade Lawyer Marketing: What Today’s Solo and Small Firm Lawyers Do to Survive and Thrive in a World of Marketing Vultures, 800-Pound Gorillas and LegalZoom – Published in 2015 and authored by Ben Glass, this book provides solo and small firm lawyers with lots of legal marketing tips from lawyers similarly situated who have made legal marketing work for them.
And don’t forget about ebooks! At MyCase we’ve published a number of great ebooks focused on legal marketing authored by some of the best legal marketing experts around:
- Offline Networking: Using Referrals To Grow Your Practice by Jared Correia
- Effective Law Firm Websites by Gyi Tsakalakis
- Marketing Your Law Firm Using Social Media by Allison Shields
- Clients: A Process for Getting and Keeping Them by Ed Poll.
Legal marketing blogs
Blogs are another great way to learn about legal marketing. The good news is that there are lots of blogs written by legal marketers. Here are some of our favorites:
- Business Solutions for Law Firms – Stacey E. Burke posts at least once/week on all things legal marketing, ranging from new Google algorithms, using video for legal marketing, law firm brand identities, and more.
- Real Lawyers Have Blogs – Lexblog CEO Kevin O’Keefe shares insightful posts on social media marketing for lawyers, blogging, and the value of meaningful online relationships for lawyers.
- Attorney Sync – Gyi Tsakalakis shares legal marketing trends and tips on topics ranging from marketing to Millennials to SEO.
- Enlightened Rainmaking – Whether you want to learn about the psychology of referrals, the marketing value of niche practices, or effective networking, this blog, written by Jaimie Field, is for you!
- Good2BSocial Legal Marketing – Between the podcasts and the blog posts authored by Tim Baran, you’ll learn all you need to know about effectively marketing your law firm.
- MyCase Blog Marketing posts – And last, but not least, don’t forget to read the marketing posts on the MyCase blog, where we cover all aspects of marketing your law firm in the 21st century.
Legal marketing webinars
Our legal marketing resource guide wouldn’t be complete without webinars! Learn all about marketing your law firm successfully by watching the video recordings of our past webinars, presented by experts in legal marketing:
- Digital Marketing for Law Firms with Gina Rubel
- A Winning Social Media And Content Strategy For Your Law Practice with Tim Baran
- Tips And Tricks For Using Social Media with Catherine Sanders Reach
- Kickstart Your Legal Marketing In One Hour with Mary Wenzel
- 5 Really Great Examples Of Lawyers Using Social Media with Gyi Tsakalakis
- Use Video Marketing To Attract Your Ideal Client with Gerry Oginski
- Network Your Way to Success with Roy Ginsburg.
And last, but not least, make sure to register for this week’s webinar with Stacey E. Burke, Money Out the Window: How to Measure Your Marketing ROI for Lawyers. It’s happening this Thursday, January 30th at 11 AM PT / 2 PM ET. Mark your calendars and we’ll see you there!