You received exactly what you’d asked for this holiday season and now you’re holding a shiny new iPad (or iPhone) in your hands. Now what? How do you figure out which apps to download to help to make you a more effective, efficient lawyer?
Well, you’re in luck! Get started by downloading a few of the apps suggested below:
1) PDF annotation and storage apps. Goodreader ($4.99), PDF Expert ($9.99), iAnnotate ($9.99) and ReaddleDocs (free) are all good choices, although PDF Expert is my personal favorite. Another new entrant into this category worth considering is EasyAnnotate ($2.99), which permits side-by-side comparison and annotation of PDF documents.
2) Document creation. Consider Apple’s iPages app ($9.99), Office² HD for Word docs ($7.99) or Office 365 for iPhone (free).
3) Note taking apps. Some of the most popular apps include Evernote (free), Notability ($2.99) and Springpad (free).
4) Scanner apps. You have a number of options, including Scanner Pro ($2.99), GeniusScan (free) or TurboScan ($1.99).
5) Litigation apps. There are an increasing number of litigation apps being released, but here are a few to get you started: TrialPad ($89.99), ExhibitA ($14.99), ExhibitView ($49.99), TrialDirector (free), JuryStar ($39.99), iJury ($14.99), iJuror ($19.99), Jury Tracker ($4.99) and JuryDuty ($39.99).
6) Pre-trial apps. While there are many pre-trial iPad apps available, here are a few to consider: TranscriptPad ($89.99), DocketLaw (free), Mobile Transcript (free), and The Deponent App ($9.99).
7) Law practice management apps. Most reputable web-based law practice management companies offer iPad (and iPhone) apps which provide lawyers with access to their firm’s documents, client files, contact information and more. And, MyCase’s app, in addition to providing full access to all of this information, also offers a client-facing app which allows clients to securely communicate with their lawyers and access all of their case-related information as well.
So there you have it–a great list of apps to get you started. Download a few of them and see how much your new iDevice helps you to streamline your law practice and improve your productivity in 2014!